ANN: New Moab Release

			     Moab NodeOS
			    -------------

We are pleased to announce a new snapshot of Moab, the Janos NodeOS.
Moab is the lowest layer of Janos and essentially implements the draft
NodeOS specification.  Moab has been tested with the OSKit running on
bare hardware (both x86- and ARM-based) and on top of several Unix-like
environments (Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD).

This version of Moab corresponds to that described in our joint
(with Princeton, NAI Labs, & Arizona) JSAC NodeOS paper, available at
   http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/papers/nodeos-jsac01-base.html

New in this version:

 * CPU resource controls.  You can now assign per-flow CPU shares.

 * Considerable performance improvements in the OSKit packet forwarding path.

 * Fleshed out demuxkey interface.  Supports masks and the specialized
   interfaces (e.g., to match IPv4 packets).

 * Implemented most of the filesystem interface.

 * Rudiments of Click-based in/out channels.  An experiment with using
   Click in the NodeOS to provide finer-grained protocol composition.

 * ``Stdin'' channel.  First step for supporting Moab-based EEs under anetd.

 * Channel ``hand-off'' interface.  Allows reinserting a packet into a
   specific in channel (for ANTS).

 * Stats interfaces.  Simple interfaces to return basic flow, mempool and
   channel statistics.

 * Utility library.  The beginnings of a support library to implement useful
   services atop the NodeOS interface.

 * Added assorted new test EEs.  In particular, our resource control
   demonstration EE.

 * The inevitable, continuing cleanup of source code.

 * Fix old bugs, introduce new ones.

See the README file or the web pages for full status and details of
what is new.

In order to use Moab with the OSKit, you need the latest (February 14, 2001)
OSKit snapshot available at http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/.

Moab is licensed under the GNU GPL and can be downloaded from:
	http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/janos/

Send questions or comments to janos-discuss@flux.cs.utah.edu,
or look at our Web site at http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/janos/

---