Re: regarding JANOS recent release

> I got a copy of the recent release of JANOS. But it needs JDK-1.2.2.

Jikes should work to compile it, and it should run on JDK 1.1.x (we
run it on Kaffe).  You can get Jikes (for Linux even) at
	http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jikes/project/news.html
(If you're running RedHat or Debian, it should be a available as a
package from the distribution folks).

Once its compiled, it should run on JDK 1.1.x (I think it should even
work on a 1.0 JDK, but I haven't tried that...).

> ( JDK-1.2 also shows "insufficient javac" on "configure" check ).

Be sure to check the failure output file that was generated to make
sure the error isn't a simple CLASSPATH problem.  (A "legit" error is
one about failure to initialize a blank final field.)

> Also, presently, when I run Janos on my Linux box, it seems to work
> as any other user level application on the Linux OS.

Janos is pure Java code at this point.  It runs on regular JVMs and
does nothing at the OS level.  It is best suited for EE developers who
want to build a Java-based active network runtime on it, or for
active network application developers who want to use our active
network runtime, ANTSR.

We will soon be releasing a NodeOS implementation in C that will
provide a lower level of control, but it will still be a shim on top
of Unix.  (It will run on the OSKit, so you will be able to the whole
thing on "the bare hardware".)

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
	 This bit of signature was randomly selected. Really.