Re: recent NoseOS release

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:39:38 -0600
> From: Vishal Zinjuvadia <zvishal@ittc.ukans.edu>
> To: janos-discuss@fast.cs.utah.edu
> Subject: recent NoseOS release
>
> Hi,
>
>         I downloaded the recent NodeOS(C implementation). I am trying to
>
> install it in directory of my choice after making changes in the two
> makefiles in the (top directory and the /src directory).

You should be able to do "configure --prefix=<your-install-dir>" to do this,
but at the moment we don't have any install target in the makefile anyway,
so nothing uses the install dir.  Or maybe I misunderstand what you want
to do.

> ... Following is
> what
> I did:
>
> Running on Redhat Linux 6.0
>
> commands executed:
>
>         ./configure
>         (changed the Install dir in the make files)
>         make
>         make depend
>
>         all this gave no errors. Then I executed ./src/nodeos and that
> also gave no errors, however no ee's were executed. Do we have to change
>
> the options.h to run the ee's.

The flowtest "EE" should be the default in src/options.h.  When you ran
src/nodeos, it should have spit out lots of printfs.  Keep in mind that
none of these EEs actually do anything other than test some NodeOS primitives
and then exit.  If you are expecting to fire up the nodeos and then
dynamically load code and do actual work, you will be sorely disappointed :-)

> Should I send the output of the above execution to give you a better
> idea ?

I expect that our NodeOS may just be more primitive than you are expecting,
but yes, send me output and I can verify whether it is doing the "right"
thing or not.

>         I expected to get the ee's as executables in the /src directory.
>
> Am I right or is there any other way to run the executables ( modify the
>
> options.h or so..).

At the moment, you statically link one EE with the NodeOS and it creates
the single src/nodeos executable.  You would have to recompile parts of
the NodeOS and relink with the different EEs manually to produce binaries
for each one.

Hopefully, I will get out a more useful version of the NodeOS sometime
soon after the holidays (January).

Let us know if you have other questions.